Monday, May 25, 2009

Playing with caustic chemicals and molten wax!

Today I embarked on one of the most exciting crafty adventures I've experienced in a long time! This is an idea I've been toying with for the last few days, and thanks to a 50% off coupon to AC Moore, I was finally able to bring it to fruition.

A while back, I got some glass etching cream, and have been itching to try it ever since. The other day, I got the idea to combine it with another craft I've been wanting to try: candle making.

This is the glass etching cream. Basically, you make a pattern out of contact paper or something similar, stick it on your glass, and smear the cream all over it. Leave it on for 5-10 minutes (I had to do it twice because it wasn't as noticeable as I wanted it the first time), and wash it all off. I should probably mention, glass etching cream is EXTREMELY CAUSTIC, so you should be SUPER DUPER CAREFUL when handling it. Wear plastic gloves if you have them. I didn't use any because my glass had a handle to hold onto, but I made my brother wrap his hands in plastic bags. Because he's clumsy. Sorry no pictures of this part, I need a little bit of practice with this whole 'photoblogging' thing.

My brother made his own candle too. I introduce him to the coolest hobbies. ^_^

Makeshift double-boiler. A lot of sites recommend two pots, but I like doing it this way because then you have the added convenience of a spout! The only annoying part is holding onto the handle to make sure water doesn't get in. (Use pot holders!)

More supplies! Buttload o' wax and chunks o' color.

Around here is where I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture of the holder pre-wax. It looked pretty awesome.

Closer shot where you can see the skyline (a little) better.

My brother's finished product...the logo for his baseball team (Pirates)


Conclusion for today: caustic and molten things make for fun times!
In retrospect: I read that pre-heating the glass container reduces the number of bubbles in your finished piece. Which is good, because my candle is very bubbly. :( Also, I think next time I'm going to make a votive in the handy little metal mold provided by the kit I bought, then put it in the votive holder. That way, you'll still be able to see the nifty design on the canister.

No comments:

Post a Comment